Caramelized Spiced PearsPrint
- 4 Tbs butter
- 4 each fresh, ripe pears peeled, cored and sliced into quarters
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- vanilla ice cream
- Prepare pears by peeling, coring and slicing into quarters.
- Combine brown sugar and cinnamon in small bowl and set aside.
- Melt butter in skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add pears to the melted butter, cut side down, arranging them carefully in the pan. Cook the pears until they begin to brown, but don't let them burn (approximately 3-4 minutes).
- Turn each slice with tongs, placing the other cut side down and brown again in the same way (approximately 3-4 minutes).
- Finally turn the pears once more so that the unbrowned side is facing down.
- While browing the final side, add the sugar mixture and swirl pan to incorporate into the sizzling butter. Be careful during this stage and be prepared to work quickly.
- Add the vanilla extract and cook for another 3-4 minutes or until the liquid begins to caramelize, turning a medium brown and thickened.
- Transfer pears to individual bowls. Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream and drizzle caramel sauce over entire dish. Enjoy!
Pears may be cut into thinner slices for a different presentation (we like to use ours on dessert pizza!), but be cautious not to over-cook the pears. They burn easily!