Skillet Berry Cobbler
Ingredients for Filling:
- 4 cups blackberries (fresh or frozen)
- 2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 fresh lemon (zest and juice)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 Tbs cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbs butter (to be melted in pan)
Ingredients for Topping:
- 1-1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 Tbs sugar (plus extra for top of biscuits)
- 1-1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 Tbs chilled unsalted butter (cubed into small pieces)
- 2/3 cup heavy cream (1/2 c for dough, remaining for top of biscuits)
To prepare the filling:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place 1 Tbs butter in 10" cast iron skillet and place in oven to melt butter while preparing berry mixture.
- Place all berries in large mixing bowl. Toss gently with lemon juice and zest.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sugar, cinnamon and cornstarch. Pour over berry mixture and toss gently to combine and coat berries evenly.
- Once oven is preheated, remove skillet from oven and carefully pour in the berry mixture. Be careful...your pan will be hot! Place skillet with berry mixture back in oven to heat up while making the cobbler topping.
To prepare the topping:
- In medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add cubed, chilled butter to flour mixture and cut together with pastry cutter (and/or hands) until butter pieces are the size of small peas and the mixture is coarse, but somewhat lumpy.
- Add 1/2 cup heavy cream to flour mixture and mix gently until dough just comes together and no dry bits remain (be careful not to over-mix).
- Using clean, dry hands, form 6-7 individual biscuits with the dough and set aside until skillet comes out of oven.
To finish baking:
- Remove skillet from oven and raise heat to 400 degrees.
- Carefully place biscuits on top of berry mixture in skillet. Be careful...your pan will be hot!
- Using a pastry brush, brush remaining heavy cream on top of each biscuit and sprinkle with sugar.
- When oven comes to temp, place skillet back in oven for approximately 25 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown and filling is bubbly.
- Once cobbler is out of the oven, allow to cool slightly and serve with vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!