|6 half pints||30 minutes|
|Cook Time||Passive Time|
|12 hours||12 hours|
This is an easy, mostly hands-off recipe, that allows you to prep your apples and let the slow cooker do most of the work. You will want to time your cooking accordingly, however, so that you can fit it all into one day. Enjoy this apple butter many ways...spread onto baked goods, stirred into oatmeal or as a topping for savory meats, such as pork or chicken. It's delicious simply by the spoonful, too!
- 6 lbs apples peeled, cored and sliced (approximately 15-18 medium apples)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup fresh apple cider
- Peel, core and slice your apples and place into the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle the sugar and spices over the apples and stir to combine as best you can. Feel free to add the spices halfway through to make mixing easier. Don't worry if it doesn't mix thoroughly, as the spices will become incorporated as the apples cook down.
- Pour the fresh apple cider over the apple mixture.
- Set your slow cooker to the 'low' setting and allow to cook for approximately 10 hours. You may want to stir your apples a couple of times during this process, however it is generally not necessary.
- After approximately 10 hours, carefully blend the apple mixture with an immersion blender until smooth. Be careful of splatter, since mixture will be very hot.
- Once blended, remove the lid and set your slow cooker to the 'high' setting for approximately 2 hours. This will reduce your apple mixture to a more concentrated state. Stir the mixture on occasion and turn down the setting if it seems necessary. Your apple butter is finished when it has thickened to a creamy, spreadable consistency.
This apple butter can be stored in the refrigerator for a week or so. It can also be frozen or canned according to the specific guidelines for apple butter. We use the Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving, or you may visit the Ball Canning website for instructions.